Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sleepiness -- The Saga Continues

So, in my continued quest for restful sleep, I went to a psychologist. Why? Why not!?! So, we had a nice chat. I asked her about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (something my family doc suggested). When I asked her about it, she told me I wasn't "Cognitive" enough to try it at the moment. I'm too tired to think straight! Of course I already knew that. She wanted me to touch base with my family doc so I visited him last week. He gave me a new med to try. It is not specifically for sleep, but he hopes it will make me sleep. It is an anti-psychotic medication, given primarily to people with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. The hope is that it will slow my mind down at night so I can stop having such crazy dreams all night and finally get some rest. Of course we really don't know the reason why I always feel exhausted, so we'll see. So far, my dreams have been more vivid than ever. In fact, while I'm asleep I have to direct my dreams a certain way in order to "sleep" -- or at least to make me think I'm sleeping. It has been very strange. I have noticed that it also slows my brain during the day. That isn't the best side effect. Teaching physics with an even slower than normal brain is a challenge!

I decided I need to try these meds for a while longer to see if it may work. I can only hope for some rest! I'm crashing too fast!

1 comment:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

Good Luck Trina! I will keep you in my prayers that something will start working soon. Love you!