Friday, October 17, 2008

Dr. Bean

I had my last visit with my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Bean, yesterday. He is great! He was so funny because he went through the normal questions to see how I'm doing, etc. and then he said he was a little sad. He told me I didn't have to come back unless I was having problems with something. He told me he was going to miss having me come visit. He told me he always enjoyed it when I came in. It turns out that he studied physics as an undergrad so he was very excited to find out I was a physics professor. I must admit I always enjoyed visiting with him as well. He didn't necessarily talk about physics all the time with me, but that connection seemed to make all the difference. The last time I went in (in September), when he saw me he said, Good, I get to actually talk to someone! He spent a little while chatting with me yesterday. He told me "you know where to find me!" telling me to come back and visit again. Will that require a copay? :)

He is a great doctor! He did my left shoulder surgery 6 years ago so I was definitely planning on going back to him, though he is all the way back in Layton. Well worth it! Granted, I hope I don't need more surgery, but I wouldn't mind visiting with him once in a while.

Another funny experience that I want to remember, so I will write it here: When I went to have my shoulder surgery, my sweet neighbor drove me up to Layton and I had arranged for my dad to come pick me up. I didn't think my dad should have to drive all the way down from Harrisville just to drive back to North Layton and sit for who knows how many hours. Anyway, this left me by myself pre-op (which I was fine with -- it was ok!). The doctor came in to talk to me prior to surgery and ask the usual question (and to write "Yes" on the shoulder he was doing surgery on and "No" on the other one -- I thought that was kind of funny too). Anyway, he asked me where my husband was. I told him I am not married and he didn't believe me. He asked "how can you not be married" (well, I have a lot of explanations) and then he said it probably because I intimidated everyone, being a physics professor and all. He went on with his questions and I didn't think anything of it. Well, when my dad was driving me home, I asked him about the surgery (the doctor told him all about it, but was long gone before I woke up and could find out about it). My dad's answer: "They did a lot on your shoudler". Great! I was particularly curious because if they had done one particular part, then I would have to be in a sling for 6 to 8 weeks, but if not then I would only be in the sling for 2 or 3 weeks. That was important to me. Anyway, I wander......As we continued to my house, my dad told me about Dr. Bean telling my dad he was surprised that I'm not married. Oops -- my dad's "favorite" subject. My dad started telling Dr. Bean how much he wished he could see me married, etc. Well, Dr. Bean told my dad that I'm not married because guys find me too intimidating. Revelation! Apparently my dad had never thought of this before. It was as if the world now made sense. I had to laugh. I told Dr. Bean yesterday that he changed my dad's whole view. He couldn't believe my dad hadn't realized it. Of course, I know there are many other reasons why I'm not married, besides the intimidation factor, but I know that has been at least an issue in the past.

Oh the fine times at the doctor's office! I am truly grateful to have found a doctor that is personable, who cares about me as an individual, and who is very good at what he does. My shoulder is doing really well, though I still have a ways to go. My range of motion is pretty much back, but I need to work more on my strength. I know it will come with time...... Racquetball anyone? I wonder if I can....... I know, I know, I'm supposed to give it up, but I don't think I will be able to, at least not yet.

4 comments:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

I am glad that the shoulder is getting better. Blasted surgeries. It is always nice when you like your doctor as well. I also can't believe your dad would not think that you intimidate people possible with a physics background. My siblings always sold me that I would learn everything in Physics, but I never took it in High School so I guess I missed out on learning a lot of stuff. Love you!

Dionne said...

At first I read the title of your post as MR. Bean, and so I was left with the image of Mr. Bean in my head the whole rest of your post and was imagining him doing your shoulder surgery. WOW. Good thing I double-checked that title. One thing I'm left wondering . . . is Dr. Bean married?

trina said...

Ha Ha! Mr. Bean. That would be funny. To answer your question, yes, Dr. Bean is married (and he's old enough to be my dad).

Dionne said...

whooooops.