Sunday, October 12, 2008

San Diego

The weekend before school started, my lab coordinator Sharon, and I headed to San Diego for a conference. The conference was really good and even better, we had time to visit some beaches. I love the beach! Here are some beautiful pictures.
This last beach was my favorite. It was in Del Mar and it was a doggy beach. It made me miss my boys. I know Rocky wouldn't like the beach, but I wonder if Bully would. It would be fun to take him sometime.
We were able to arrange a late departure on our last day so we headed to the Wild Animal Park. Very cool! I have been to the San Diego zoo a couple of times, but had never been to the Wild Animal Park. I really enjoyed it. The basic admission included a tram ride around an outdoor enclosure. Here are some of the animals we saw:
For a lot more money, you could take tours out into the enclosures to see the animals up close and personal (kind of like an African safari). I would love to do it, but wasn't willing to spend the money. Here is a truck out feeding some of the animals:
All of the animals were amazing. Here were some gorillas:
The workers had spread food throughout the enclosure so the big male gorilla was foraging around looking for the food. He carried the carrot around for a while as he looked for more food.
They had both African and Asian elephants. The main difference is the size of their ears. They are beautiful creatures! I loved seeing the baby elephants.
As we neared the lion enclosure, there were signs about the lion cubs born a while back. I was soooooo excited to see the cubs. But, when we got there, there was only this male (he was beautiful!):

Luckily, as we toured the rest of the park, we had a chance to come back by and this time the male was gone and the cubs were out. WhooHoooo! They were so cute.
One of these cubs was chewing on a bone. A while later another cub came out and stole the bone from this cub. They had a good chase. It was fun to watch, though I couldn't get it on camera. On our way out, we saw these cute monkeys. Notice the baby on the left. It was fun to watch him swing around. Not very coordinated yet.
Our final stop was a section where you could pet some of the animals. Sharon isn't a big animal fan (at least not up close and personal) so only I went in. I was able to buy some food and feed the animals. They were very cute.
I love San Diego! I'm grateful for the opportunity to enjoy some time outside of the conference.

No comments: